James D. Stensel
James is an Associate with the Family Law Practice Group. His career spans more than two decades, with several years working alongside many of Seattle’s most notable and respected family law attorneys. Honed by his experiences, James’s strategy in each case is to focus on creative ways to resolve disputes rather than create them. However, James also appreciates that clients often have immediate needs that demand swift action and court intervention. In every instance, James’s goal is to help families deal with critical legal issues through patient, thoughtful, and professional guidance and representation focused on preserving their legal rights and interests.
Since the day he became an attorney, James has focused his practice solely on family law. James is experienced in several areas of family law, including divorce cases involving high net worth, complex finances, jurisdictional issues, and enforcement. He also has extensive experience litigating matters both in court and through the mediation/arbitration process. James understands that the decisions made in a case will affect a client’s financial health for years to come and approaches each case with a long-term outcome focus and strategy.
- Seattle University School of Law
- Juris Doctor
- CALI Award for Trial Advocacy
- Cheney/Metzger Writing Competition Scholarship Nominee
- Pacific Lutheran University
- B.A. Prelaw and Philosophy
- Edmonds Community College
- Advanced Paralegal Certificate
- “When Divorce May Be The Only Cure: An Unconventional Approach to Healthcare Access for Sick Spouses,” King County Bar Bulletin, August 2018
- “Divorce Under Tax Reform: The Elimination of the Spousal Support Tax Benefit and Other Changes,” Strafford CLE Webinar, 2019
Professional and Civic
Named as a “Ones to Watch” by The Best Lawyers in America, 2021
Named a “Rising Star,” by Washington Super Lawyers magazine, Family Law, 2019-2021
Member, Washington State Bar Association
King County Bar Association
Domestic Relations Attorneys of Washington (DRAW)
James lives on the Eastside with his wife. He enjoys traveling, snowboarding, hiking, and cooking. He is also a regular at Seahawks, Mariner, and Sounders games. James flew his first Cessna flight at Boeing field and hopes to get his pilot’s license someday.