James D. Stensel
James is a Principal with the Lasher Family Law Practice Group. His legal career spans more than two decades working in family law. Honed by his experiences, James’s strategy in each case is to focus on creative ways to resolve disputes rather than create them. James also appreciates that clients often have emergent needs that demand swift action, including court intervention. In each case, James’s goal is to help his clients deal with critical and often complex legal issues through patient, thoughtful, and professional guidance and representation focused on preserving their legal rights and interests.
Since becoming an attorney, James has focused his practice solely on family law. James is experienced in several areas of family law, including divorce cases involving high net worth, complex finances, jurisdictional issues, and enforcement. He also has extensive experience litigating in court and navigating the mediation/arbitration process. James understands that the decisions made in a case will affect a client’s personal and financial health for years to come and approaches each case with a long-term-outcome focus and strategy.
- Seattle University School of Law
- Juris Doctor
- CALI Award for Trial Advocacy
- Cheney/Metzger Writing Competition Scholarship Nominee
- Pacific Lutheran University
- B.A. Political Science/Pre-law
- Minor in Philosophy
- Edmonds Community College
- Advanced Paralegal Certificate
- “When Divorce May Be The Only Cure: An Unconventional Approach to Healthcare Access for Sick Spouses,” King County Bar Bulletin, August 2018
- “Divorce Under Tax Reform: The Elimination of the Spousal Support Tax Benefit and Other Changes,” Strafford CLE Webinar, 2019
Professional and Civic
- Named to “Ones to Watch” by The Best Lawyers in America, 2021 ed., 2022 ed., 2023 ed.
- Named a “Rising Star,” by Washington Super Lawyers magazine, Family Law, 2019-2022
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association