Estate and tax planning for individuals, families, and owners of closely-held businesses, gifting and other wealth transfers, charitable gifts, probate and trust administration, marital property characterization, prenuptial and living together agreements, trust & estate disputes including TEDRA matters, representation of trustees and other fiduciaries.
- Bachelor of Arts with Distinction (Theology & Ethics), 1993, University of Iowa
- Post-graduate study, Centre for the Study of Literature & Religion, 1993-94, Glasgow University, Scotland
- Juris Doctor, 1999, University of Washington
- Negotiated and drafted agreement for academic scholarship program at client’s alma mater which included coordinating with university foundation and third party professional trustee.
- Created a charitable remainder annuity trust to achieve clients’ goals of minimizing estate taxes, supporting their local community foundation and providing an income stream to fund life insurance policy.
- Oversaw complex estate that involved the sale of a business, beneficiary disputes, and significant real estate holdings and transfers.
- Served as court-appointed guardian ad litem for three minor trust beneficiaries when another family member contested the trust; matter successfully resolved in mediation.
- Represented executors in multiple probates involving settling decedents’ estates many years after death, necessitating complex valuation and trust funding techniques.
- “Five Succession Tips for Private Family Businesses,” Co-Author, published in Puget Sound Business Journal, March 2015
- “Where to Live and Where to Die—A Tax Perspective,” Co-Author, published in WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section Newsletter, Winter 2014-15
- “Estate Planning for Seniors,” chapter in Legal Voice’s Legal Handbook for Seniors, 2012
- Probate & Trust Administration Fundamentals: Effective Representation of Estates, Personal Representatives and Trustees, a WSBA Continuing Legal Education seminar, Co-Chair and Speaker, August 2013
- Estate Planning Lessons Learned from the Estates of the Rich & Famous, an NBI Continuing Legal Education Speaker, December 2012
- Estate Planning: Fundamentals, Forms and Ethics, a WSBA Continuing Legal Education seminar; Co-Chair and Speaker, August 2011 & August 2012
- Understanding Washington’s New Domestic Partnership Act: Presentation at EdwardJones Seminar, Seattle, February 2010
- Ethics and Estate Planning, Presentation at National Business Institute Seminar, Seattle, May 2008 & December 2008