Will your Washington Noncompete Agreements Be Enforceable in the Future? Representatives Introduce Litigation Aimed at Prohibiting Noncompete Agreements Most states, Washington included, recognize and enforce various noncompete agreements in employment contracts. A few states, most notably California, totally ban or prohibit noncompete agreements except in limited circumstances. Although noncompete agreements are currently enforceable under Washington law, this could change in the near future. Fueled by…Read the full article
Hillary J. Collyer
Commercial litigation, employment litigation, and family law, including marital dissolutions, property division, maintenance, parenting plans, child support, post-dissolution issues.
- Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude, 1996, State University of New York, College at Oswego
- Juris Doctor, 2001, George Washington University School of Law
- Counsel in wage class action against national furniture chain store and obtained favorable settlement on behalf of class members.
- Trial counsel for defendant car dealership in federal discrimination action brought by former employee who alleged age, disability, race, and religious discrimination in violation of Title VII and the Americans with Disabilities Act. After succeeding in dismissing several counts on summary judgment, obtained jury verdict for defendant car dealership on remaining claims.
- Hillary regularly represents employers in sucessfully enforcing non-compete and non-solicitation agreements against departing employees, as well as defending executive level employees against breach of employment contract claims.
- Hillary regularly works on high-asset marital dissolutions, involving complex financial matters and high-conflict parenting issues.
Presentations & Publications
- Seattle’s “Ban the Box Ordinance,” presentation regarding the use of background checks in hiring decisions to the Snohomish County Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Managers (SHRM), March 2015
- Wage & Hour Master Class (BLR - Business & Legal Resources), Presenter, May 2012
- ADA Master Class (BLR - Business & Legal Resources), Presenter, October 2012
- Employment Law in Virginia: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (published by Virginia Continuing Legal Education), Co-Author
- Virginia Employment Law Letter (published by BLR - Business & Legal Resources), Contributing Author, April 2007-March 2013